Vacancy Announcement for International Forest Consultant (Azerbaijan)
As an Implementing Organization of the EU financed ENPI/FLEG Regional Program "Improving Forest Law Enforcement and Governance (FLEG) in the European Neighborhood Policy East Countries and Russia" (www.enpi-fleg.org), the World Bank is announcing an opening for International Forest Consultant to conduct analysis of Law Enforcement and Governance problems in the Azerbaijani forest sector and to develop a set of FLEG indicators.
About the Program: The ENPI FLEG program supports governments, civil society, and the private sector in participating countries in the development of sound and sustainable forest management practices, including the reducing the incidence of illegal forestry activities. Participating countries include Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine. This program is funded by the European Union and is being implemented by the World Bank, WWF and IUCN.
Description: The purpose of the assignment is to analyze and provide recommendation for improvement of the existing regulatory framework in the forestry sector in Azerbaijan. Specifically, the Consultant will be responsible for the fulfilment of the following tasks:
- search for ways to harmonize the current institutional framework of governance in the forest sector of Azerbaijan with the best international practices;
- organization of meetings with the stakeholders and assessment of needs of the forest sector participants in the matters of governance;
- Study of past and current traditional modes of governance in the forest sector;
- provide an effective collaboration with the prospective consultancy company in carrying out of survey and analysis of the economic and social impact of inefficient, unsustainable forest practices and illegal logging;
- review similar studies which have already been conducted, both on the national and international level, and incorporate the results of those studies respectively;
- study the regional experience in forestry governance, especially for transboundary areas;
- identify gaps in the Azerbaijan forestry sector governance area, provide a set of recommendation for improvement within the Azerbaijan segment of FLEG Program;
- summarize all the findings and recommendations in a report which should be presented and widely discussed with all relevant stakeholders, and then finalized with incorporation of the feedback from those consulted.
The position requires an individual with proven experience and knowledge of governance issues related to the forest and natural resources use and to the rights of local residents and small business. Consultant should have at least 10 years of relevant professional international experience.
The following specific qualifications shall be met:
Masters or advanced degree in a forestry / natural resource and governance;
- Knowledge and experience with current forest and/or natural resource management and governance issues on international level (EU, other);
- Experience with issues on governance, public awareness and participation in decision making;
- Strong expertise in the development and implementation of applied research tools and survey methods;
- Wide experience of working with clients from governmental bodies, businesses, civil society, particularly NGOs;
- Ability to analyse and clearly articulate complex issues in an understandable fashion to decision-makers;
- Highly developed communication skills, including the preparation of high quality reports and the delivery of presentations;
- Ability to work under pressure, sometimes with extended hours, and to meet tight deadlines without compromising the quality of outputs;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when dealing with sensitive political issues;
- Knowledge of World Bank work globally and regionally is an asset;
- Computer literacy;
- Fluency in oral and particularly written English is mandatory; good command of Azerbaijan and/or Russian is an advantage;
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender issues;
- Availability and willingness to travel internationally.
Location: Baku, Azerbaijan
Duration: 6 month starting from June 2011
Application process: Applications should be emailed to: email@example.com and should include a CV and References (please use forms provided)
Deadline: WB is seeking to fill this position as soon as possible; the final deadline for submitting applications is May 27, 2011. Short-listed candidates only will be invited for an interview if necessary.