Vacancy announcement for the Sociologist (Azerbaijan)
As an Implementing Organization of the EU financed ENPI FLEG Regional Program "Improving Forest Law Enforcement and Governance (FLEG) in the European Neighborhood Policy East Countries and Russia" (www.enpi-fleg.org), the World Bank is announcing an opening for the Sociologist to provide support to the ENPI FLEG Country Team in preparation and conduction of the sociological survey and analysis of the historic aspects of the illegal use of the forests and an attitude to governance and law enforcement issues in the pilot regions.
About the Program: The ENPI FLEG program supports governments, civil society, and the private sector in participating countries in the development of sound and sustainable forest management practices, including the reducing the incidence of illegal forestry activities. Participating countries include Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine. This program is funded by the European Union and is being implemented by the World Bank, WWF and IUCN.
Description: The purpose of the assignment is to provide support to the ENPI FLEG Country Team in preparation and conduction of the sociological survey and analysis of the historic aspects of the illegal use of the forests and an attitude to governance and law enforcement issues in the pilot regions. Specifically, the Consultant will be responsible for the fulfilment of the following tasks;
- Collect data and conduct analysis of the historic aspects of the legal as well as the illegal use of the forests in the pilot regions; to show principles and way of their establishment using various sociological techniques;
- Working out of a sociological questionnaire reflecting differentiated approach and conduction of the sociological survey and interviews with the focus groups (children, youth, women, seniors) in the pilot regions regarding the current status of the law enforcement and governance issues;
- Analyze the law enforcement and government practices in the forestry sector with the special focus on the access to forest resource by local government, local authorities, and local communities;
- To present outcomes of work with the different groups of beneficiars, including governmental employees;
- Prepare inception, draft final and final reports on the conducted works;
- Project planning, assessment and reporting.
In implementation of the tasks above, the Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator and in the close cooperation with the respective Team members. The corresponding methodology has to be worked out in advance and approved by the Program in-country Coordinator.
The following specific qualifications shall be met:
- A Master Degree or higher degree in a discipline that is relevant to economic, forest or natural resource management or governance issues;
- At least 10 years of progressive professional experience;
- Knowledge, understanding, and practical implementation of survey methodology that demonstrates clear cognizance of technical, social, and economic focal points associated with forest resources management;
- Knowledge and understanding of the current forest management and governance issues in Azerbaijan;
- Proven project work at international, national and local levels, including some supervisory experience;
- Experience in providing qualitative technical reports;
- Ability to analyse and clearly articulate complex issues in an understandable fashion to decision-makers;
- Highly developed communication skills, including the preparation of high quality reports and the delivery of presentations;
- Ability to work under pressure, sometimes with extended hours, and to meet tight deadlines without compromising the quality of outputs;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when dealing with sensitive political issues;
- Knowledge of WBâ€™s work globally and regionally is an asset;
- Computer literacy;
- Fluency in oral and particularly written English;
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender issues;
- Availability and willingness to travel.
Location: Baku, Azerbaijan
Duration: 4 month starting from November 2011
Application process: Applications should be emailed to: email@example.com and should include a CV and References (please use forms provided)
Deadline: WB is seeking to fill this position as soon as possible; the final deadline for submitting applications is 25 October, 2011. Short-listed candidates only will be invited for an interview.
- Files: fleg tor Sociologist wb 10-2011 AZ (89 kB)